Monday, February 23, 2015

Product Photography: A Primer.


Perhaps I'm biased, but I really, really enjoy some of the topics that come up on the Shopify.com blog. When I started selling items that I made online, becoming a product photographer was not really a thing on my mind. I just took a picture (click) and put it online (double click).

I reached the limits of tiny Fuji J series pretty quickly. What I was capturing and what I WANTED to capture were becoming highly divergent. So, I decided that, like any good problem, all I had to do was throw some money at it. I did some research and somewhat hastily bought the new Canon G11 that you see above.

But, psych! A fancy camera does very little to help out a dull photographer. Turns out that I had spend some time actually learning about how to use my camera to take a photo. And it has been quite the process.

Last month, I came across this fabulous tutorial courtesy of Shopify and, wonder of wonder, now I know what my histogram is for!!! If you are at the beginning of your product photo journey, or have been too scared to even approach the idea of taking your own photos (or if you are flopping around somewhere in the middle knowledge like I am) you must, must, must check out this tutorial!! It is the best, most clear, most plain spoken instruction I have seen on how to improve your photos without having to invest much money. Save your sanity! Start here.

No comments:

Post a Comment